Luna is developing new uniform textiles with superhydrophobic and superoleophobic properties.Â These materials will resist fouling by water or oil based fluids possess a high level of chemical protection, and decreasing the logistical burden of laundering in the field.
- Current chemical / biological warfare agent (CBWA) protective clothing have difficulties with weight (e.g. activated carbon) or poor breathability (e.g. butyl rubber)
- Logistic burden is high to provide soldiers with cleaning/washing facility in the field
- Performance and durability of superhydrophobic / superoleophobic coating upon repeated flexing and abrasion is critical and depends on the coating material and application technique
- There is no commercially available solution to impart fluid resistance to fabrics that are compatible with ACU, FR-ACU, JSLIST overgarment, and other DOD currently fielded uniforms
Luna utilizes an extremely low surface energy nanostructured textile coating to generate superhydrophobicity / superoleophobicity.Â Inspired by nature, Lunaâ€™s fluid resistant coatings with dual-size surface structures is based on hierarchical particles composed of commercially available materials and simple chemistry.Â The benefits for self cleaning surfaces with Lunaâ€™s technology include compatibility with other fabric treatments, easy application and scale-up, breathable, lightweight, and durable under harsh conditions.
Lunaâ€™s rapid, non-thermally cured materials technology has distinct advantages in the following areas:
- Dual-size surface morphology of the coating developed is inspired by lotus leaf
- Army fabrics were treated with Lunaâ€™s durable superhydrophobic / oleophobic coatings possessing structured surface morphology
- Â Demonstrated repellency against water / oil, durability, breathability, and maintained fabric mechanical strength
- Material properties:
- Stain resistance â€“ repels water and oil
- Cross platform â€“ coating is able to treat cotton, polyester, nylon, Nomex, etc.
- Durable â€“ maintains properties after >10X washings
- Maintains properties after flexural testing (Gelbo flex 2000x) and heavy abrasion (Taber)
- Maintains permeability of original fabric for high breathability for comfort and reducing heat exhaustion
>>Â Read about Luna’s agreement granting UltraTech International Incorporated an exclusive license to commercialize this textile repellent technology.
>> Read more about the U.S. Army’s application of the technology.